Resource guarding (food, toys, etc.) is a common problem among dog owners. In the first post I talked about how we define resource guarding, what does it look like and what are the usual causes. Now we will discuss the options you have if your dog is a resource guarder:
- management – making everyone safe again
- emergency interventions
Continue reading “Help, my dog is a resource guarder! Part 2”
Resource guarding (of food, toys etc.) is a common problem. It can crop up in rescue as well as purebred dogs, sometimes already when the dog is a puppy. I believe that the better we understand our dog’s behavior, the more effectively we can help them. In this post we will cover the basics:
- What are resources and what is resource guarding?
- What does it look like?
- What causes resource guarding?
- What factors influence the prognosis for behavior modification?
- How can you prevent resource guarding in your dog?
If your dog already guards resources, read how to deal with it in the next post.
Continue reading “Help, my dog is a resource guarder! Part 1”